The blade on the Eagle Scout knife is made of a US Steel 1095 High Carbon that is susceptible to oxidation. I would recommend the following steps.
- The best cleaner to remove the rust/oxidation is going to be Bar Keepers friend. You can purchase this at just about any grocery store.
- As an alternative you can also make a paste out of baking soda and a little bit of water
- DO NOT USE a scouring pad, or you will scratch the mirror polish. Instead use a soft cloth, wine cork or a potato that has been cut in half.
- Lay the knife down and slowly and carefully rub the knife blade with either Bar Keepers friend or the baking soda paste. Keep in mind that a chemical reaction is happening and it does take some time to activate and remove the oxidation, so more pressure doesn’t necessarily mean better results. Continue to rub and apply more of the cleaner to remove any oxidation.
- If you have a polishing rag, use this now to bring the luster back to the blade.
In order to prevent oxidation in the future, apply a thin layer of mineral oil or 3-in-1 oil to the blade and exposed frame
Please sign in to leave a comment.